Friday, October 2, 2026

WHEN PRESSURE RISES, JUDGEMENT MATTERS

 

WHEN PRESSURE RISES, JUDGEMENT MATTERS

⚓ SHIPOPSINSIGHTS | EXECUTIVE EDITORIAL

Why experienced maritime professionals sometimes struggle to access what they already know—and how disciplined thinking can protect better decisions.

 

A Master is on a difficult call with shore management.

The vessel has encountered an operational problem. The charterer wants an update. The agent is waiting for instructions. The technical team wants more information. Senior management wants to know the commercial consequences.

Then comes the question:

“What do you recommend?”

For a few seconds, everything seems to stop.

You know the vessel.
You know the operation.
You have handled similar situations before.

But suddenly, the answer does not come as clearly as it normally would.

Your thoughts become scattered.

You start thinking about the consequences of giving the wrong answer. You become conscious that everyone is waiting. You want to respond quickly.

And then, perhaps an hour later, when the pressure has disappeared, the answer becomes obvious.

“I knew that. Why couldn't I think of it at the time?”

This is not necessarily a knowledge problem.

It can be a pressure problem.

And in maritime operations, that distinction matters.

 

THE KNOWLEDGE IS STILL THERE

Think of professional experience as a library.

Every voyage, incident, cargo operation, port call, technical problem, commercial negotiation and difficult conversation adds another book to that library.

Over years, a maritime professional builds an enormous body of knowledge.

But when pressure suddenly rises, the problem is not necessarily that the books have disappeared.

The problem is finding the right book quickly.

Your attention is no longer focused exclusively on the operational question.

Part of it may be occupied by:

  • What if I am wrong?
  • What will management think?
  • I need to answer immediately.
  • Everyone is waiting.
  • I cannot afford to make a mistake.

Now your mind has two jobs:

Solve the problem.

And:

Manage the pressure of solving the problem.

That additional mental load can make clear thinking more difficult.

The important lesson is therefore not:

“I am not capable.”

It is:

“What happened to my thinking when the pressure arrived?”

That is a much more useful question.

Operational takeaway

When your thinking deteriorates under pressure, examine the condition of your thinking, not simply your level of knowledge.

 

THE MARITIME PROFESSIONAL'S REAL TEST

Shipping often rewards knowledge and experience.

But difficult situations test something deeper.

They test whether you can access your knowledge when circumstances become uncomfortable.

Consider three levels:

Knowledge
What do I know?

Thinking
How do I process what I know?

Self-management
Can I still use that thinking when pressure rises?

The third element is frequently underestimated.

A highly experienced operator can make a poor decision when distracted by urgency.

A technically strong superintendent can communicate badly when feeling challenged.

A senior officer can become defensive when questioning feels like criticism.

Conversely, someone with less experience may perform effectively because they remain calm, listen carefully and structure the problem before responding.

This does not make experience unimportant.

It means experience becomes more valuable when it is supported by mental discipline.

Leadership takeaway

Professional maturity is not simply knowing more.

It is learning how to use what you know when conditions are difficult.

 

WHEN EVERYONE WANTS AN ANSWER

This is particularly relevant in ship management.

Imagine a vessel develops a technical problem.

Within minutes, several conversations begin:

Master: What is the safest immediate course?

Technical Team: What exactly has failed?

Operator: What does this mean for the schedule?

Charterer: Will the vessel be delayed?

Agent: Is shore assistance required?

Management: What is the potential exposure?

Everyone has a legitimate question.

But not every question needs to be answered at the same time.

The temptation is to react.

Call someone.

Send an email.

Give an instruction.

Provide an estimate.

Make a commitment.

But under pressure, the first requirement is not speed.

It is structure.

Ask:

1. What do we know?

Establish the facts.

2. What do we not know?

Identify the information gap.

3. What are we assuming?

Separate assumptions from verified information.

4. What is urgent?

Identify what genuinely requires immediate action.

5. What decision is required?

Determine the decision before attempting to answer every question.

This approach does not make operations slower.

It prevents urgency from controlling the sequence of thought.

 

FACTS BEFORE FEAR

One of the most useful habits during pressure is to separate four things:

FACTS

ASSUMPTIONS

What has actually happened?

What do I think may happen?

 

QUESTIONS

ACTION

What information is missing?

What needs to happen now?

Consider a vessel reporting an unexpected machinery problem.

Fact: The vessel has reported a machinery issue.

Assumption: Shore technical assistance may be required.

Question: What is the precise condition, what troubleshooting has been completed and what options remain?

Action: Obtain the verified technical status and assess the safe operational alternatives.

This is very different from immediately thinking:

“This is going to become a major problem.”

The second response starts with fear.

The first starts with information.

In claims prevention, technical management and commercial communication, that distinction can become extremely important.

Operational takeaway

Never allow an assumption to become a fact simply because pressure makes the assumption feel urgent.

 

CALM DOES NOT MEAN SLOW

There is an important misconception about calmness.

A calm professional is not necessarily a slow professional.

Calmness means that urgency does not remove judgement.

When someone asks an unexpected question, you do not always need to answer in the first second.

A short pause can create mental space.

You can say:

“Let me make sure I understand the question correctly.”

Or:

“There are two aspects we need to consider.”

Or:

“I would like to verify that before giving you a definitive answer.”

These are not signs of weakness.

They are signs of professional control.

In maritime operations, a premature statement can create expectations.

An unsupported assumption can later become part of a correspondence trail.

An unclear instruction can create operational confusion.

A rushed commitment can reduce future options.

The two-second discipline

Stop → Breathe → Understand → Answer

That tiny pause can change the quality of the response.

 

DON'T TRY TO LOOK SMART. CREATE CLARITY.

This may be the most important psychological shift.

When someone asks:

“What do you think?”

Your mind may interpret it as:

“Prove that you are intelligent.”

When someone asks:

“Why did this happen?”

You may hear:

“You are being judged.”

When someone disagrees:

“You have failed.”

That interpretation creates unnecessary pressure.

A better mindset is:

My job is not to prove intelligence.

My job is to create clarity.

That changes the conversation completely.

Instead of:

“How can I sound intelligent?”

Ask:

“How can I explain this clearly?”

Instead of:

“What will they think about me?”

Ask:

“What is actually happening?”

Instead of:

“What if I make a mistake?”

Ask:

“What information do I need?”

Instead of:

“I failed.”

Ask:

“What can I learn from this?”

This is not merely positive thinking.

It is a change in the direction of attention.

 

MENTAL REHEARSAL: PREPARE BEFORE PRESSURE ARRIVES

Ships conduct drills because emergencies are not the right time to learn basic responses.

The same principle applies to professional thinking.

Before an important meeting, difficult conversation, presentation or operational decision, ask:

What could make me uncomfortable?

Then mentally rehearse your response.

If someone challenges my view → I will listen first.

If I do not know → I will say that I need to verify.

If everyone looks toward me → I will slow down.

If I make a mistake → I will correct it rather than become defensive.

You are creating a mental sequence:

PRESSURE → PAUSE → THINK → RESPOND

instead of:

PRESSURE → PANIC → REACT

Preparation therefore becomes a form of human-factor risk management.

 

PRESSURE REVEALS HABITS

Difficult situations reveal what we have practised.

If your normal behaviour is to:

  • interrupt,
  • react immediately,
  • become defensive,
  • rush answers,
  • worry about your image,

pressure may amplify those behaviours.

But if you regularly practise:

  • listening,
  • pausing,
  • questioning,
  • organising information,
  • separating facts from assumptions,

pressure may reveal those habits instead.

This gives us an important leadership principle:

Difficult situations do not only test your character. They reveal your habits.

That is why professional development cannot happen only through courses.

It happens through repeated behaviour.

Leadership takeaway

Do not merely prepare for difficult situations.

Build the habits you want those situations to reveal.

 

THE P.A.C.E. METHOD

When pressure suddenly rises, use four simple steps.

P — PAUSE

Do not allow the first emotion to become the first action.

Take one breath.

A — ATTENTION

Return your attention to the actual situation.

Not:

“What are they thinking about me?”

But:

“What is happening?”

C — CLARIFY

Ask:

  • What do I know?
  • What do I not know?
  • What exactly is being asked?
  • What needs to be decided?

E — EXPRESS

Communicate with structure.

For example:

“There are three points we need to consider.”

Then address them one by one.

The strength of P.A.C.E. is its simplicity.

When mental pressure increases, you do not need a complicated framework.

You need a repeatable one.

 

FROM THE BRIDGE TO THE BOARDROOM

This principle applies across the maritime organisation.

Masters

Maintain situational awareness. Separate verified facts from assumptions and communicate the operational position clearly.

Chief Officers

During cargo or port operations, resist the temptation to react to every demand simultaneously. Establish priorities and maintain clear communication.

Marine Engineers & Technical Teams

Do not allow commercial urgency to replace technical verification. Explain what is known, what remains uncertain and what options exist.

Superintendents

When several stakeholders are demanding answers, create structure before creating commitments.

Ship Operators

Protect the distinction between operational facts, estimates and commercial assumptions.

Chartering Teams

Avoid converting pressure for an immediate response into an unsupported commercial commitment.

Young Officers

Develop the habit early:

You do not need to know everything immediately.

You need to know how to listen, verify, think and communicate.

 

TURN EXPERIENCE INTO TRAINING

The most valuable learning may happen after the difficult situation is over.

At the end of a challenging day, ask:

What happened?

When did I feel pressure?

What triggered it?

What was I thinking?

How did I respond?

What was the result?

What would I do differently next time?

This turns an event into a behavioural debrief.

Without reflection, experience is simply something that happened.

With reflection, experience becomes training.

A weekly review can go one step further:

Situation → Trigger → Thought → Emotion → Behaviour → Result → Better Response

Over time, patterns begin to emerge.

And what you can recognise, you can begin to manage.

 

THE REAL MEANING OF CONFIDENCE

Confidence is not:

“I will never make a mistake.”

A stronger form of confidence is:

“Even when something unexpected happens, I can slow down, think, learn and respond.”

That confidence is not dependent on perfect circumstances.

And shipping rarely provides perfect circumstances.

Weather changes.

Machinery fails.

Ports become congested.

Cargo operations become complicated.

Schedules move.

Information arrives late.

Commercial pressure increases.

People disagree.

The objective is therefore not to eliminate pressure.

It is to develop the ability to think clearly while pressure exists.

 

A SIMPLE DAILY PRACTICE

Morning — 3 minutes

Ask:

What important situation might I face today?

Where could pressure appear?

How do I want to behave when it does?

Set one intention:

“Today, I will pause before responding when I feel pressured.”

During the day

Practise the two-second pause:

Stop → Breathe → Understand → Answer

Evening

Ask:

Where did I feel pressure today?

Did I react or respond?

What triggered me?

What did I learn?

What will I do differently next time?

This is a small discipline.

Repeated consistently, it can become a professional habit.

 

THE SHIPOPSINSIGHTS EXECUTIVE LESSON

The strongest maritime professionals are not necessarily those who always have the fastest answer.

They are often the professionals who can remain sufficiently composed to find the right answer when the situation becomes difficult.

When pressure arrives:

Pause.

When thoughts scatter:

Return to the facts.

When you feel judged:

Focus on creating clarity, not proving yourself.

When you do not know:

Verify.

When you make a mistake:

Learn.

When several people demand answers:

Create structure before creating commitments.

Because pressure itself is not the greatest risk.

The greater risk is allowing pressure to take control of judgement.

In ship operations, technical management, chartering and maritime leadership, clear thinking is not a soft skill.

It is part of operational excellence.

Remember:

Pressure reveals habits.
Calmness creates space.
Clarity improves decisions.
Practice turns clear thinking into a professional capability.

And perhaps the most important lesson is this:

You do not need to become the person who always has the fastest answer.

Become the person who remains steady enough to find the right one.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

⚓ LNG SHIPPING: BEYOND THE RATE

  ⚓ LNG SHIPPING: BEYOND THE RATE The market is moving. The real question is whether shipping professionals are moving with it. A fre...