Thursday, August 13, 2026

YOU VS. YOU — The Most Important Battle in Maritime Leadership

 

YOU VS. YOU — The Most Important Battle in Maritime Leadership

Why the hardest operational risk to manage is sometimes not the vessel, the weather, or the cargo — but the professional who is avoiding an uncomfortable decision.

A vessel is approaching port.

The ETA is tight. The Chief Officer knows a cargo-operation issue needs attention. The Superintendent has noticed a developing technical concern. The Operator needs to have an uncomfortable conversation with the charterer. A young officer has identified something that does not look right but is hesitant to speak.

Everyone knows something needs to be done.

Yet nobody acts immediately.

Not because they lack knowledge.

Not because they lack experience.

But because action is uncomfortable.

This is where one of the most important battles in professional life begins:

YOU vs. YOU.

The battle is not always against an external problem. Often, it is against the internal voice saying:

“Later.”

“What will they think?”

“This is not my responsibility.”

“I don't want to create conflict.”

“Maybe I am overreacting.”

“This is not how someone at my level should behave.”

In shipping, where small delays, poor communication and unresolved risks can quickly become operational or commercial problems, that internal battle matters.

 

The Real Question: What Are You Avoiding?

Experienced maritime professionals are rarely short of information.

The harder question is whether they are willing to act on what they already know.

Ask:

“What am I avoiding that I actually need to face?”

For a Master, it may be a difficult conversation with a charterer's representative.

For a Chief Officer, it may be challenging an unsafe operational assumption.

For an Engineer, it may be escalating a developing machinery concern before it becomes a breakdown.

For an Operator, it may be confronting an unrealistic commercial expectation.

For a Superintendent, it may be telling management that a vessel is not ready for something everyone expects to happen.

Avoidance often disguises itself as professionalism.

“I am waiting for more information.”

“I don't want to disturb the Master.”

“Let's see what happens.”

“I don't want to damage the relationship.”

Sometimes these are valid considerations.

But sometimes they are simply sophisticated forms of avoidance.

Practical takeaway

Before postponing an uncomfortable decision, ask:

Am I genuinely waiting for better information — or am I waiting because I am uncomfortable acting?

That distinction can prevent a small issue from becoming a major one.

 

Avoidance Has a Commercial Cost

Avoidance provides immediate relief.

The difficult conversation does not happen.

The disagreement is postponed.

The decision is delayed.

The person feels more comfortable.

But the operational problem may continue developing.

In shipping, the consequences can multiply:

Discomfort → Avoidance → Delay → Escalation → Cost → Claim

A five-minute conversation at the right time can sometimes prevent days of operational disruption.

Consider a charter-party issue.

An Operator notices a potential disagreement regarding off-hire, bunkers or performance. Instead of clarifying the position early, the issue is allowed to continue.

Later, the parties disagree over deductions.

Then correspondence increases.

Then calculations are disputed.

Then lawyers or claims teams become involved.

The original operational issue may have been small.

The cost of not addressing it was not.

Practical takeaway

Do not measure only the cost of taking action. Measure the potential cost of delayed action.

 

Image vs. Professional Identity

There is another battle that experienced professionals often face: protecting their professional image.

A Master may think:

“I am expected to have all the answers.”

A Superintendent may think:

“I should already know this.”

A young officer may think:

“If I ask this question, people may think I am inexperienced.”

A manager may think:

“If I admit there is a problem, management may question my competence.”

This is dangerous.

A professional identity becomes counterproductive when protecting the image becomes more important than protecting the operation.

The strongest maritime professionals are not those who pretend never to be uncertain.

They are those who are willing to say:

“I don't know.”

“I need more information.”

“I may have missed something.”

“This requires further assessment.”

“I am not comfortable proceeding without clarification.”

That is not weakness.

That is professional judgement.

 

Know Why You Are Saying No

Shipping professionals make decisions every day.

Proceed.

Delay.

Stop.

Escalate.

Accept.

Reject.

Question.

The important issue is not simply whether the answer is yes or no.

It is why.

Are you refusing because the proposal genuinely conflicts with safety, the charter-party, company procedures or your professional judgement?

Or are you refusing because you are afraid of being judged?

The difference matters.

Consider a simple workplace situation.

A team proposes a small activity for 15 August. You may genuinely want to participate, but then your internal voice asks:

“Does this fit my professional image?”

“What will colleagues think?”

“Will people see me differently?”

You may eventually create a perfectly logical explanation for declining.

There is nothing wrong with declining.

The professional question is:

Was the decision based on values and judgement — or fear of perception?

Authenticity does not mean saying yes to everything.

It means knowing the real reason behind your decision.

Practical takeaway

Before an important “no”, ask:

“Am I protecting the operation, my values and my professional standards — or am I protecting my image?”

 

Stop Hiding Behind Logic

Human beings are exceptionally good at rationalising avoidance.

In maritime operations, it can sound like:

“Let's wait until the vessel arrives.”

“The weather may improve.”

“The charterers probably won't raise it.”

“We can sort it out later.”

“It is only a small issue.”

Maybe.

But perhaps the real thought is:

“I don't want to deal with this.”

Professional maturity begins when we become honest enough to distinguish the two.

This is not about becoming self-critical.

It is about becoming self-aware.

Self-honesty is not self-criticism.

Saying “I made a poor decision” is different from saying “I am a poor professional.”

The first creates learning.

The second creates defensiveness.


From Avoidance to Action

A useful framework from this principle is:

NOTICE → NAME → FACE → ACT

1. NOTICE

What am I avoiding?

Identify the actual issue.

2. NAME

Why am I avoiding it?

Fear of conflict? Failure? Rejection? Reputation? Uncertainty?

3. FACE

What uncomfortable truth must I accept?

Perhaps the vessel is not ready.

Perhaps your original decision was wrong.

Perhaps the commercial expectation is unrealistic.

Perhaps you need help.

4. ACT

What is the smallest responsible action I can take today?

Make the call.

Send the clarification.

Raise the concern.

Ask the question.

Review the calculation.

Escalate the risk.

The objective is not to eliminate discomfort.

The objective is to act responsibly while discomfort is still present.

 

Confidence Is Built Through Evidence

Many professionals wait for confidence before taking action.

The sequence is usually the opposite.

Action → Evidence → Self-Trust → Confidence

You take a difficult action.

You discover that you survived it.

You keep a promise to yourself.

You see evidence that you can handle difficult situations.

Your self-trust increases.

Confidence follows.

This is particularly important for young maritime professionals.

A cadet does not become confident by repeatedly thinking about becoming confident.

A junior officer develops confidence by preparing, asking questions, taking responsibility, making decisions within their authority and learning from outcomes.

A Superintendent builds credibility by consistently following through.

A Master builds leadership authority by demonstrating sound judgement under pressure.

Practical takeaway

Do not ask:

“Do I feel confident enough?”

Ask:

“What action would create evidence that I can trust myself?”


The Work Nobody Sees

A vessel's successful arrival may look effortless from shore.

It is not.

Behind that arrival are hundreds of decisions nobody sees.

The same applies to professional development.

Confidence is often built privately.

Reading the procedure.

Reviewing the charter-party.

Checking the calculation again.

Preparing before the meeting.

Practising communication.

Learning from a previous incident.

Having the difficult conversation.

Following through when nobody is watching.

Private discipline eventually becomes public competence.

The same principle applies to shipboard safety culture.

A safety culture is not created by posters.

It is created through repeated behaviour when nobody is watching.


Simplicity Creates Better Decisions

Another important dimension of the YOU vs. YOU battle is unnecessary mental noise.

Maritime professionals already operate in complex environments.

Too many messages.

Too many meetings.

Too many competing priorities.

Too many unfinished decisions.

Too much comparison.

Too much concern about what others think.

The result is cognitive overload.

A simpler professional life does not mean fewer responsibilities.

It means greater clarity about what deserves attention.

Ask:

  • What requires action today?
  • What is genuinely important?
  • What am I doing only to impress others?
  • Which unresolved decision is consuming unnecessary mental energy?
  • What can be delegated?
  • What can be stopped?

Clarity improves judgement.

And judgement is one of the most valuable assets on any vessel or in any operations desk.

 

Don't Imitate. Build Your Own Professional Strength

There is a difference between learning from others and trying to become someone else.

Study experienced Masters.

Learn from strong Superintendents.

Observe effective Operators.

Understand how good leaders communicate.

Borrow useful systems.

But do not lose your own professional identity.

A Chief Officer does not need to become another Chief Officer.

A Superintendent does not need to copy another Superintendent.

A maritime leader should ask:

“What can I build with the strengths, experience and resources I have?”

Like a vessel, every professional has a different operating profile.

Your responsibility is to understand your own strengths, identify weaknesses and continuously improve your performance.

 

Acceptance Is Not Resignation

Self-acceptance is sometimes misunderstood.

It does not mean:

“This is who I am. I cannot change.”

That is resignation.

Professional acceptance means:

“This is where I am today. Now what can I do about it?”

Accept that you need to improve communication.

Then practise.

Accept that you sometimes procrastinate.

Then establish discipline.

Accept that you made a mistake.

Then learn from it.

Accept that you are uncomfortable with confrontation.

Then develop the ability to have difficult conversations professionally.

Acceptance gives you the starting position.

Discipline determines the next position.


The Maritime YOU vs. YOU Framework

This entire concept can be converted into an operational discipline.

1. AWARENESS

What am I avoiding?

2. HONESTY

Why am I avoiding it?

3. ACCEPTANCE

Can I acknowledge the situation without becoming defensive?

4. COURAGE

What uncomfortable but responsible action is required?

5. DISCIPLINE

Can I repeat the right behaviour consistently?

6. CONFIDENCE

What evidence have I created that I can trust my judgement?

7. IDENTITY

What kind of maritime professional am I becoming?

8. TRANSFORMATION

Am I now making better decisions than I was making before?

This is not a motivational exercise.

It is a professional development system.

 

What This Means for Different Maritime Roles

For Masters

Do not allow rank to become an image you must protect. Encourage honest reporting, challenge assumptions and create an environment where speaking up is safer than remaining silent.

For Chief Officers

Treat operational discomfort as a signal to investigate, not something automatically to suppress. Cargo, ballast, stability and deck operations reward disciplined preparation.

For Chief Engineers and Technical Teams

Escalate developing technical concerns early. A difficult technical conversation is usually cheaper than an avoidable breakdown.

For Ship Operators

Separate commercial pressure from operational reality. Good operators do not merely transmit instructions; they identify conflicts, clarify expectations and document decisions.

For Chartering Teams

Understand that every operational decision eventually has a commercial consequence. Clear early communication can prevent disputes over hire, off-hire, laytime, demurrage, performance and claims.

For Superintendents and Fleet Managers

Create systems where inconvenient information reaches management early. A company that only hears good news is not necessarily well managed; it may simply have a poor reporting culture.

For Young Officers

Never confuse asking a professional question with demonstrating weakness. Curiosity, preparation and willingness to learn are foundations of competence.


A Five-Minute Daily Practice

Before the day's operational noise begins, ask three questions:

1. What am I avoiding that I need to face?

Choose one issue.

2. What has become easier for me that was once difficult?

Recognise evidence of growth.

3. Who do I want to be today?

Disciplined? Calm? Courageous? Focused? Honest? Consistent?

Then ask one final question:

“What action today will prove that identity?”

At the end of the day, ask:

“Where did I choose professional responsibility instead of fear?”

One sentence is enough.

The objective is not dramatic transformation.

It is accumulated evidence.


Executive Insight

Shipping teaches a powerful lesson: a vessel does not become safer because the crew hopes conditions will improve. It becomes safer because the crew recognises conditions accurately and responds appropriately.

The same principle applies to professional growth.

You cannot control every charterer.

You cannot control every port delay.

You cannot control every market movement.

You cannot eliminate uncertainty.

But you can control how honestly you assess your own decisions.

You can challenge your assumptions.

You can communicate earlier.

You can prepare better.

You can confront difficult realities.

You can keep promises to yourself.

And you can stop allowing an outdated professional image to determine your next decision.

The most important battle is therefore not always between the vessel and the weather, the owner and charterer, or operations and commercial pressure.

Sometimes it is much closer.

It is between the person you are today and the version of yourself that keeps asking you to wait.

The professional transformation begins with one uncomfortable question:

What am I avoiding right now?

Then comes the question that matters even more:

What is the smallest responsible action I can take today?

Because confidence does not arrive before action.

Action creates evidence.
Evidence creates self-trust.
Self-trust creates confidence.
Repeated behaviour creates professional identity.

That is how the battle is won.

Not YOU vs. the world.

YOU vs. YOU.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

The LNG Shipping Shift: The Ship Is Only One Piece of the Puzzle

  The LNG Shipping Shift: The Ship Is Only One Piece of the Puzzle As LNG demand, dual-fuel fleets, bunkering infrastructure, shipyard c...