WHO IS HOLDING YOUR INNER MICROPHONE?
The Hidden Voice That Shapes Decisions, Confidence and
Professional Performance
You cannot control every thought that enters your mind.
But you can decide which thoughts get to influence your next decision.
A difficult message arrives from a charterer.
A claim has suddenly become complicated.
A Master faces an unexpected operational problem.
A Chief Officer discovers that something has not gone
according to plan.
A superintendent is challenged during a difficult management
call.
A young officer is asked to take responsibility for
something he has never handled before.
The external problem may be operational.
But before the professional responds to it, another
conversation has already started.
Inside the mind.
“What if I get this wrong?”
“I am not experienced enough.”
“Someone else would handle this better.”
“Perhaps I should wait.”
Or, alternatively:
“Let's establish the facts.”
“What exactly is within my control?”
“Who needs to be involved?”
“What is the next responsible action?”
The situation may be identical.
The response can be completely different.
That is why one of the most important leadership questions
is not:
“What happened?”
It is:
“Who is holding your inner microphone?”
Because the voice you repeatedly listen to influences the
decisions you repeatedly make.
Those decisions create behaviour.
Behaviour creates evidence.
Evidence shapes confidence.
Repeated behaviour strengthens identity.
And identity influences the next decision.
This is the hidden cycle behind You vs You.
1. THE REAL BATTLE IS NOT OUTSIDE YOU
Maritime professionals are trained to manage external
conditions.
Weather changes.
Traffic develops.
Cargo operations become complicated.
Machinery behaves unexpectedly.
Port conditions change.
Commercial instructions evolve.
Charter-party issues emerge.
The professional response is not to complain that conditions
have changed.
It is to assess the situation, establish the facts, evaluate
risk and decide what needs to happen next.
The same discipline is required internally.
Something happens.
Your mind immediately attempts to interpret it.
That interpretation may be accurate.
Or it may be influenced by fear, previous experience,
comparison, insecurity or assumptions.
Consider an operator receiving a challenging message
regarding vessel performance.
One internal response might be:
“They are going to blame us. This is going to become a
major problem.”
Another might be:
“We have a claim. Let's examine the charter-party
wording, establish the facts, gather the evidence and determine the commercial
position.”
The second response does not ignore the risk.
It manages it.
That distinction is critical.
Operational lesson
A professional response begins when facts take control of
the conversation—not fear.
2. YOUR MIND INTERPRETS BEFORE YOU RESPOND
Every difficult situation contains two layers.
There is the event.
And there is the meaning you assign to the event.
A colleague receives recognition for handling a difficult
matter.
The event is simple:
Someone performed well.
But your internal interpretation could become:
“He is better than me.”
That interpretation may produce insecurity.
Insecurity may produce hesitation.
Hesitation reduces participation.
Reduced participation reduces learning.
Reduced learning reinforces the original belief.
A completely different interpretation is possible:
“What did he do differently that I can learn from?”
Same event.
Different interpretation.
Different behaviour.
Different outcome.
This is why awareness matters.
Before reacting, learn to recognise the internal sequence:
Trigger → Thought → Interpretation → Emotion → Behaviour
The trigger may be outside your control.
The rest deserves examination.
Practical takeaway
When you experience an emotional spike, pause and ask:
“What happened—and what story am I adding to what
happened?”
3. NOT EVERY THOUGHT DESERVES COMMAND AUTHORITY
One of the most important disciplines in leadership is
understanding that a thought is not automatically a fact.
Your mind may say:
“You will fail.”
That is a thought.
“You are not ready.”
That is a thought.
“People will judge you.”
That is a thought.
“Do it tomorrow.”
That is a thought.
The mistake is allowing every thought to become an
instruction.
A better professional response is to evaluate it.
Ask:
Is this fact, fear, habit or an old belief?
That question creates psychological distance.
Fear can become preparation.
Doubt can become verification.
Uncertainty can become research.
Concern can become risk assessment.
The objective is not to eliminate uncomfortable thoughts.
The objective is to stop giving them automatic authority.
Practical takeaway
When a limiting thought appears, ask:
“Is this thought protecting my performance—or preventing
it?”
4. WHEN A SKILL GAP BECOMES AN IDENTITY PROBLEM
There is a major difference between:
“I don't know how to do this.”
and:
“I am not capable of doing this.”
The first identifies a development requirement.
The second attacks identity.
This distinction is particularly important in maritime
operations because professionals constantly encounter unfamiliar situations.
A young officer may not know how to handle a particular
operational issue.
An operator may encounter an unfamiliar charter-party
dispute.
A superintendent may face a technical problem outside his
immediate experience.
The correct response is not to pretend to know everything.
It is to identify the gap.
What do I know?
What don't I know?
Who can help?
What evidence do I need?
What should I verify?
What is the next step?
That is professional thinking.
A skill gap can be closed.
An identity judgement can become self-imposed limitation.
Practical takeaway
Replace:
“I am not capable.”
with:
“What capability is missing, and how do I build it?”
5. THE MOST POWERFUL SOURCE OF CONFIDENCE IS EVIDENCE
Many people wait for confidence before taking action.
That creates a dangerous sequence:
Confidence → Action
A more useful sequence is often:
Action → Evidence → Confidence
You make the difficult call.
You discover that you can handle it.
You prepare for the meeting.
You survive the difficult questions.
You speak up when something concerns you.
You learn the unfamiliar process.
You make a mistake and recover.
Each experience provides evidence.
Your mind begins recording:
“I can handle difficult situations.”
The next challenge becomes slightly easier.
Then another.
Then another.
Confidence becomes less dependent on imagination because it
has an evidence base.
This is why telling yourself “I am confident” may
have limited value if your behaviour consistently tells you the opposite.
Your brain pays attention to what you repeatedly do.
Practical takeaway
If confidence is missing, do not always ask:
“How can I feel more confident?”
Ask:
“What small action can create evidence that I am
capable?”
6. EVERY DAY, YOU ARE BUILDING A CASE FOR OR AGAINST
YOURSELF
This is the uncomfortable part.
Every action creates evidence.
But so does avoidance.
When you repeatedly postpone difficult work, your mind
learns:
“I avoid uncomfortable tasks.”
When you repeatedly remain silent because you fear being
wrong, your mind learns:
“Speaking up is dangerous.”
When you repeatedly wait until you feel completely ready,
your mind learns:
“Uncertainty means stop.”
But the reverse is equally powerful.
You speak up.
You prepare.
You ask questions.
You take responsibility.
You complete the postponed task.
You recover from the mistake.
You try again.
The internal evidence changes.
“I take responsibility.”
“I can learn.”
“I can handle pressure.”
“I can act even when uncertain.”
Over time, these statements stop being aspirations.
They become identity.
Practical takeaway
At the end of each day ask:
“What evidence did my behaviour create about the
professional I am becoming?”
7. DO NOT CONFUSE SELF-ACCOUNTABILITY WITH SELF-ATTACK
High standards are essential.
Self-destruction is not.
There is a significant difference between:
“That decision was below my professional standard.”
and:
“I am useless.”
The first examines behaviour.
The second attacks identity.
Strong maritime leadership works through standards,
accountability, feedback and corrective action.
A Master does not improve bridge-team performance by
humiliating the bridge team.
A superintendent does not improve technical performance by
destroying confidence.
A professional should apply the same principle internally.
When something goes wrong, ask:
- What
happened?
- Why
did it happen?
- What
assumption was incorrect?
- What
control was missing?
- What
should I change?
- What
will I do differently next time?
This turns a mistake into learning.
Practical takeaway
Correct the behaviour without destroying the person.
8. YOUR PAST IS DATA—NOT A PERMANENT VERDICT
Past mistakes can become powerful teachers.
But they can also become psychological anchors.
A professional makes one poor decision and starts thinking:
“I always make bad decisions.”
A failed presentation becomes:
“I am not a good communicator.”
A difficult project becomes:
“I am not leadership material.”
A period of procrastination becomes:
“I am a procrastinator.”
Notice what happened.
A behaviour became an identity.
A better professional question is:
“What did this experience teach me about my process?”
That shifts the focus from identity to improvement.
In shipping, incident learning is valuable because the
objective is not simply to identify what went wrong.
The objective is to understand the contributing factors and
reduce the likelihood of recurrence.
Your personal mistakes deserve the same discipline.
Practical takeaway
Do not use your past to sentence your future.
Use it to improve your process.
9. THE INNER CRITIC NEEDS TRAINING
Your inner critic is not necessarily your enemy.
It may be trying to protect you from embarrassment, failure,
rejection or uncertainty.
The problem is that an untrained protective mechanism can
become restrictive.
It says:
“Don't take the risk.”
A trained inner guide says:
“Understand the risk and prepare.”
It says:
“You don't know enough.”
A trained inner guide says:
“Identify what you don't know and learn it.”
It says:
“You will fail.”
A trained inner guide says:
“What can you do to improve the probability of success?”
That is a fundamentally different internal culture.
You do not need a louder voice.
You need a better-trained voice.
Practical takeaway
Do not ask:
“How do I silence my inner critic?”
Ask:
“How do I turn my inner critic into an inner coach?”
10. EXTERNAL VALIDATION SHOULD NEVER BECOME YOUR COMMAND CENTRE
Recognition feels good.
Praise is useful.
Positive feedback matters.
But when identity depends entirely on external approval,
professional confidence becomes unstable.
A successful project:
“I am capable.”
A criticism:
“Maybe I am not.”
A high-performing LinkedIn post:
“People value my work.”
A poor-performing post:
“Nobody cares.”
That is not objective evaluation.
That is allowing external signals to determine internal
identity.
A stronger professional approach is:
Feedback → Analysis → Learning → Adjustment
not:
Feedback → Emotional reaction → Identity judgement
A charterer's criticism should be examined.
A superintendent's feedback should be considered.
A Master's concern should be investigated.
A colleague's challenge should be evaluated.
But none should automatically become a verdict on your
worth.
Practical takeaway
Use feedback as data—not as a verdict on your identity.
11. THE SAME PRINCIPLE APPLIES TO MARITIME LEADERSHIP
This subject is not merely personal development.
It has direct operational relevance.
A professional who interprets every challenge as a personal
threat may become defensive.
A professional who fears being wrong may hesitate to speak
up.
A professional who converts mistakes into identity attacks
may hide information.
A professional who depends excessively on approval may avoid
difficult conversations.
Conversely, a professionally trained internal voice can
support:
- clearer
decision-making;
- better
escalation;
- stronger
communication;
- improved
preparation;
- more
constructive challenge;
- better
learning from mistakes;
- greater
resilience under pressure.
That matters because maritime operations depend heavily on
human judgement.
Procedures provide structure.
Technology provides information.
But people still interpret situations and make decisions.
And under pressure, internal dialogue influences those
decisions.
Practical takeaway
The quality of your internal leadership can influence the
quality of your external leadership.
12. THE ONE-STEP PRINCIPLE
One reason people become overwhelmed is that they attempt to
solve the entire future at once.
A better approach is familiar to anyone who has worked on a
bridge.
You establish:
Position.
Conditions.
Course.
Next action.
You do not mentally navigate the entire voyage every second.
You manage the next decision.
Personal development can work the same way.
Do not ask:
“How will I completely transform my life?”
Ask:
“What is the next responsible action?”
Make the call.
Open the document.
Ask the question.
Start the training.
Prepare the presentation.
Have the difficult conversation.
Complete the task.
The next step creates evidence.
Evidence creates momentum.
Momentum makes the next step easier.
Practical takeaway
When the entire journey feels overwhelming:
Stop solving the voyage. Navigate the next mile.
13. A PRACTICAL INNER-VOICE RESET
When pressure rises, use four questions.
1. What happened?
Separate the facts.
2. What am I telling myself about it?
Identify the interpretation.
3. Is that interpretation useful?
Separate fact from fear, skill gap from identity, and
present circumstances from past experiences.
4. What is the next useful action?
Move from analysis to execution.
This can be remembered as:
FACT → STORY → EVALUATION → ACTION
It is simple enough to use when pressure is high.
And that matters.
A framework is useful only if professionals can remember it
when they need it.
14. BUILD YOUR EVIDENCE BANK
At the end of each day, write three statements:
Today I proved that I can:
- Handle
__________.
- Learn
__________.
- Complete
__________.
Then ask:
“What evidence did I create today about the professional
I am becoming?”
This changes the focus from constantly measuring what went
wrong to deliberately recognising capability.
The objective is not to ignore weaknesses.
It is to ensure that weaknesses are not the only evidence
you collect.
15. FROM CONFIDENCE TO SELF-TRUST
There is a deeper destination beyond confidence.
It is:
SELF-TRUST
Confidence says:
“I believe I can succeed.”
Self-trust says:
“Whatever happens, I trust myself to respond, learn and
take the next responsible step.”
That is stronger.
Because even the best professional will sometimes get things
wrong.
A vessel may encounter unexpected conditions.
A commercial strategy may not produce the expected result.
A claim may develop differently from anticipated.
A decision may later prove imperfect.
Self-trust does not require perfection.
It requires the belief:
“I can respond.”
That is resilience.
And resilience is far more durable than a confidence built
only on success.
16. THE SHIPOPSINSIGHTS INNER LEADERSHIP MODEL
Remember six words:
NOTICE → CHALLENGE → CHOOSE → ACT → RECORD → REPEAT
NOTICE
Recognise the trigger and the thought.
CHALLENGE
Ask whether the thought is fact, fear, habit or an old
belief.
CHOOSE
Decide which internal voice deserves authority.
ACT
Take one concrete, responsible step.
RECORD
Capture the evidence created by your behaviour.
REPEAT
Continue until the behaviour becomes part of your
professional identity.
This is not an overnight transformation.
It is behavioural conditioning through deliberate
repetition.
17. WHAT THIS MEANS FOR DIFFERENT MARITIME PROFESSIONALS
For Masters
Do not allow pressure to narrow your thinking.
Create space between the emotional trigger and the
operational decision.
Ask:
“What does the bridge team need from me right now?”
For Chief Officers and Engineers
Do not hide uncertainty behind silence.
Identify the knowledge gap, seek the appropriate guidance
and build competence through action.
For Operators
When commercial pressure rises, separate facts from
assumptions.
Analyse the CP, evidence, timelines and operational
realities before reacting emotionally.
For Superintendents
Treat mistakes as opportunities to strengthen systems,
communication and competence—not simply as occasions for blame.
For Young Officers
Do not wait until you feel completely ready.
Learn properly.
Ask questions.
Prepare.
Take responsibility for the next step.
Your confidence will grow from the evidence you create.
18. THE FINAL QUESTION
At the end of the day, ask yourself:
“What sentence have I been repeatedly hearing inside my
mind?”
Is it:
“I am not capable”?
“I am always behind”?
“I will probably fail”?
“Someone else is better than me”?
Or is it:
“Let's understand the facts.”
“I can learn this.”
“I can ask for help.”
“I can take the next step.”
“This mistake can teach me something.”
“I do not need certainty to act responsibly.”
The objective is not to become artificially positive.
The objective is to become internally well-led.
THE EXECUTIVE INSIGHT
The battle called You vs You is not about defeating
yourself.
It is about deciding which version of yourself gets
stronger through your daily choices.
Every time you act despite uncertainty, you create evidence.
Every time you learn instead of attacking yourself, you
strengthen resilience.
Every time you replace avoidance with responsible action,
you strengthen self-trust.
Every time you correct behaviour without destroying
identity, you become a better leader.
Eventually, the internal question changes.
From:
“Can I handle this?”
to:
“I can figure out the next step.”
That is maturity.
That is professional resilience.
That is self-leadership.
And it matters because leadership does not begin when you
receive a title.
It begins much earlier—
in the conversation you have with yourself when nobody
else is listening.
So the next time pressure arrives, stop for a moment.
Listen.
Because there is a microphone inside every professional.
The question is not whether it is speaking.
The question is:
Who is holding it?
And more importantly:
Who are you allowing it to train you to become?
THE SHIPOPSINSIGHTS PUNCHLINE
Your inner voice does not become powerful because you
hear it once. It becomes powerful because you repeatedly obey it.
Do not wait for confidence. Take responsible action,
create evidence, build self-trust—and let your behaviour prove the professional
you are becoming.
The future version of you is being built by the decisions
you make today.
No comments:
Post a Comment