⚓
UPGRADE YOUR STANDARD
Your Operations, Your Leadership
and Your Results Rarely Rise Above the Standard You Consistently Accept
Chapter 6 — You vs You:
That’s the Battle
The Day Everything Looks Fine —
But the Standard Has Already Dropped
A vessel arrives at the discharge port on
schedule.
Cargo operations are completed.
There is no major incident.
Everyone moves on to the next voyage.
But during the voyage, several small things
were allowed to slip:
A follow-up was delayed.
A document was checked later than it should
have been.
A communication was not escalated early
enough.
A small operational issue was accepted as
“good enough.”
Nothing appeared serious on its own.
But collectively, these small decisions
reveal something important:
The operating standard had
quietly fallen.
This is not only a maritime problem.
It is a leadership problem.
It is a human behaviour problem.
And it exists in our personal lives as well.
The central lesson from Chapter 6 of You
vs You: That’s the Battle is simple:
Your life tends to rise or fall
to the level of the standards you consistently maintain.
Your goals tell you what you want.
Your standards determine what you repeatedly
do.
And your repeated behaviour eventually
becomes your normal.
1. A Goal Is Not a Standard
A goal says:
“I want to become better.”
A standard says:
“This is how I operate every day.”
A goal says:
“I want a successful business.”
A standard says:
“I will consistently create value,
communicate professionally and protect the quality of my work.”
A goal says:
“I want to become a better maritime
professional.”
A standard says:
“I will prepare properly, communicate
clearly, follow through and maintain professional discipline even when nobody
is watching.”
This distinction matters.
Goals describe the destination.
Standards determine the operating level.
A person can have excellent goals and poor
standards.
That person will constantly experience a gap
between ambition and results.
2. Your Real Standard Is
Revealed by What You Tolerate
This may be the most uncomfortable question
in the entire chapter:
What have I allowed to become
normal?
We often define ourselves by what we say.
But our real standard is better understood
through what we repeatedly tolerate.
For example:
You say:
“Quality is important.”
But you regularly accept incomplete work.
Your real standard may be:
“Good enough is acceptable.”
You say:
“My time is valuable.”
But you allow every interruption to control
your day.
Your real standard may be:
“My priorities can always wait.”
You say:
“Professional communication matters.”
But you repeatedly delay important updates.
Your real standard may be:
“Communication can happen when
convenient.”
This is why every professional should
regularly ask:
What do I tolerate?
What do I accept?
What do I allow?
What do I expect?
These four questions expose the gap between
our stated standards and our actual standards.
3. The Maritime Test: What
Happens When Pressure Increases?
A vessel's operating standard is not fully
visible during a quiet day.
It becomes visible when pressure increases.
Consider a port operation with:
- tight
schedule,
- cargo
pressure,
- changing
weather,
- documentation
requirements,
- multiple
stakeholders,
- charterer
expectations,
- agent
communication,
- commercial
pressure.
Everyone says safety, compliance and
operational discipline are important.
But the real test is:
Does the standard remain intact
when pressure increases?
A strong Master does not suddenly abandon
good judgement because the schedule is tight.
A strong operator does not stop
communicating because the situation is complicated.
A strong superintendent does not accept a
known weakness simply because fixing it is inconvenient.
A strong organisation does not lower its
standards because nobody is watching.
Pressure does not create
standards. Pressure reveals them.
Practical Takeaway
Ask your team:
“Which standards must never
fall, even when the vessel or business is under pressure?”
Make those standards explicit.
4. You May Be Living Below Your
Potential
One of the most important ideas in this
chapter is that people do not always fail because they lack capability.
Sometimes they simply operate below their
capability.
They know they can do better.
But they accept less.
They postpone difficult work.
They avoid responsibility.
They settle for “good enough.”
They reduce expectations.
Slowly, the gap between potential and
performance becomes normal.
This creates a dangerous cycle:
Capability
↓
Low expectation
↓
Low effort
↓
Lower result
↓
Lower confidence
↓
Lower standard
The person may still have the ability.
But the standard is holding the ability
back.
Professional Example
A young officer may have the technical
knowledge to become an excellent officer.
But if the personal standard is:
“I will prepare only when I am asked.”
the capability will remain underused.
Another officer may have similar knowledge
but a higher standard:
“I will prepare before the question comes.”
Over time, the second officer develops
stronger judgement.
The difference is not always intelligence.
Often, it is operating standard.
5. Comfort Is Useful — Until It
Becomes the Standard
Comfort is not the enemy.
Everyone needs recovery, balance and rest.
The problem begins when comfort starts
making important decisions for us.
Growth often requires behaviour that feels
uncomfortable at first.
For example:
- increasing
professional responsibility,
- asking
difficult questions,
- giving
difficult feedback,
- setting
boundaries,
- improving
technical knowledge,
- accepting
accountability,
- preparing
before pressure arrives,
- charging
appropriately for professional value.
The mind often prefers familiar behaviour.
Therefore, when you raise your standard, the
new behaviour may initially feel uncomfortable.
That does not automatically mean it is
wrong.
Sometimes it simply means:
“This is new for me.”
The right question is not:
“Does this feel comfortable?”
Ask:
“Is this the right standard for
the person I want to become?”
6. Breaking Promises to Yourself
Weakens Self-Trust
There is another hidden consequence of low
standards.
You begin breaking promises to yourself.
You say:
“I will finish this today.”
Then you postpone it.
“I will prepare tonight.”
You don't.
“I will complete this project.”
You stop halfway.
One missed commitment is not a disaster.
But repeated behaviour teaches your mind
something.
It can create the belief:
“My own commitments are
negotiable.”
That weakens self-trust.
The opposite is also true.
Every time you make a realistic commitment
and keep it, you create evidence:
“I can rely on myself.”
That is how self-trust grows.
Practical Rule
Do not make ten promises to yourself.
Make one important promise.
Then keep it.
One kept promise can become
evidence for a stronger identity.
7. Your Standard Shapes Your
Identity
This is where the chapter becomes deeper
than ordinary productivity advice.
Your repeated behaviour does not only
produce results.
It produces evidence about who you are.
The process looks like this:
STANDARD
What do I accept?
↓
BEHAVIOUR
What do I repeatedly do?
↓
EVIDENCE
What does my behaviour prove?
↓
IDENTITY
Who do I believe I am?
↓
DESTINY
What kind of life does that identity create?
For example:
If you repeatedly keep your commitments, you
develop evidence that you are reliable.
If you repeatedly finish difficult work, you
develop evidence that you can handle discomfort.
If you repeatedly prepare before pressure,
you develop evidence that you are a professional who thinks ahead.
Eventually, these behaviours become part of
your identity.
8. Reactive Identity vs Powerful
Identity
There is a major difference between two ways
of operating.
Reactive Identity
“I will perform well if the situation is
favourable.”
Powerful Identity
“Whatever the situation, I know the standard
I operate by.”
This distinction is especially important in
maritime operations.
A vessel does not always get ideal
conditions.
A Master may face commercial pressure.
An operator may face conflicting demands.
A superintendent may face an urgent
technical problem.
A chartering team may face changing market
conditions.
The professional response cannot always
depend on perfect circumstances.
A strong professional standard
gives people something stable to return to when circumstances become unstable.
9. The Thermostat Principle
Think about a room thermostat.
If the thermostat is set at 24°C, the system
works to bring the temperature back toward that level.
Your personal standard can work in a similar
way.
You may temporarily perform at a much higher
level.
But if your internal standard has not
changed, you may gradually return to the old level.
This can happen with:
- income,
- productivity,
- discipline,
- professional
performance,
- quality,
- confidence,
- responsibility.
The important question is therefore not:
“Can I reach the higher level?”
It is:
“Can I make the higher level
normal?”
10. Raising the Standard
Requires Raising Capability
This is particularly important in business.
Suppose a professional normally charges ₹10,000
and decides to charge ₹30,000.
Changing the number alone does not create a
new standard.
The professional must also upgrade:
Expertise
→
Value
→
Positioning
→
Communication
→
Delivery
→
Customer Experience
Only then does the higher price become
supported by a higher operating standard.
The same principle applies in shipping.
If an organisation wants better operational
performance, simply telling people:
“We need higher standards.”
is not enough.
It may also need:
- better
procedures,
- better
planning,
- stronger
communication,
- improved
competence,
- clearer
accountability,
- better
supervision,
- stronger
follow-up.
A higher standard must be
supported by higher capability and better systems.
11. Your Standard Is Proved by
Behaviour
This is perhaps the simplest test.
Don't ask:
“What do I say my standard is?”
Ask:
“What does my behaviour prove my
standard is?”
If you say you value preparation:
Do you prepare before the
pressure arrives?
If you say you value safety:
Does safety remain part of your
decision-making when commercial pressure increases?
If you say you value quality:
Do you check the work when
nobody is likely to notice an error?
If you say you value communication:
Do stakeholders receive
important information early enough to act?
Words describe standards.
Behaviour proves them.
12. Starting Strong Is Not
Enough
Many people are excellent at starting.
A new year.
A new project.
A new business idea.
A new course.
A new routine.
The first few days are easy because
motivation is high.
Then motivation drops.
That is where the real test begins.
Motivation says:
“I feel like doing it.”
Standard says:
“This is what I do.”
In maritime operations, we cannot depend on
mood.
The vessel still needs:
- proper
preparation,
- safe
operations,
- accurate
documentation,
- communication,
- follow-up,
- compliance,
- sound
judgement.
The standard must remain even when the day
becomes difficult.
Consistency is the bridge
between a good intention and a professional identity.
13. Finish What You Start
Completion is more important than it
appears.
Every time you finish an important task, you
strengthen self-trust.
You tell yourself:
“I can depend on myself.”
But there is an important qualification.
Not everything must be completed.
Some projects should be stopped because they
no longer make sense.
The real question is:
“Am I stopping because this is
no longer valuable, or because it has become uncomfortable?”
That distinction requires judgement.
Practical Takeaway
Before starting an important project,
define:
What does “finished” actually
mean?
A clear finish line reduces the habit of
endlessly starting without completing.
14. Standards Are Built in Small
Moments
Most standards are not created during
dramatic moments.
They are created through ordinary decisions.
You are about to postpone a task.
You are about to send incomplete work.
You are about to ignore a follow-up.
You are about to avoid a difficult
conversation.
You are about to accept poor behaviour.
You are about to choose comfort.
Pause.
Ask:
“What standard am I reinforcing
right now?”
This simple question creates space between
the trigger and the response.
Instead of:
Trigger → Automatic Reaction
you create:
Trigger → Pause → Choice →
Action
That small pause can improve decision
quality.
15. Upgrade the Standard — Then
Make It Normal
A common mistake is trying to make a
dramatic change overnight.
That often produces another cycle:
High motivation
↓
Extreme effort
↓
Exhaustion
↓
Inconsistency
↓
Return to old standard
A better approach is:
Raise → Repeat → Stabilise →
Raise Again
Raise the standard.
Repeat the behaviour.
Make it normal.
Then raise the next standard.
This creates sustainable improvement.
THE SHIPOPSINSIGHTS STANDARD
MODEL
The complete lesson can be reduced to one
operating model:
STANDARD
What do we tolerate, accept, allow and
expect?
↓
BEHAVIOUR
What do we repeatedly do?
↓
PERFORMANCE
What results does that behaviour create?
↓
IDENTITY
What kind of professional or leader are we
becoming?
↓
CULTURE
What behaviour becomes normal in the team?
↓
COMMERCIAL OUTCOME
What does this ultimately do to cost, risk,
claims, reputation and profitability?
This is where personal development becomes
directly relevant to shipping.
A low operational standard can eventually
contribute to:
- avoidable
delays,
- poor
communication,
- increased
risk,
- claims,
- inefficient
use of resources,
- customer
dissatisfaction,
- reputational
damage.
A high and sustainable standard can support:
- better
preparation,
- stronger
execution,
- clearer
communication,
- improved
risk awareness,
- better
stakeholder confidence,
- operational
consistency.
The connection is simple:
Standards influence behaviour.
Behaviour influences operations. Operations influence commercial outcomes.
A PRACTICAL STANDARD AUDIT FOR
MARITIME PROFESSIONALS
Use this once a month.
|
Area |
Current Standard |
Higher Standard |
|
Preparation |
Reactive |
Anticipatory |
|
Communication |
Delayed |
Timely and proactive |
|
Documentation |
Checked later |
Controlled early |
|
Safety |
Procedure-driven |
Risk-aware |
|
Follow-up |
When convenient |
Closed-loop |
|
Decision-making |
Short-term |
Risk + commercial |
|
Quality |
Good enough |
Professionally defensible |
|
Leadership |
Instruction |
Ownership + accountability |
|
Learning |
Occasional |
Continuous |
|
Commitments |
Flexible |
Reliable |
The objective is not perfection.
The objective is to identify where your
current operating standard is below your required professional level.
A 7-DAY STANDARD UPGRADE
Day 1 — Identify
What standard is currently holding me back?
Day 2 — Understand the Cost
What is this standard costing me, my team or
my business?
Day 3 — Define the New Standard
What should the new standard look like in
actual behaviour?
Day 4 — Keep One Promise
Make one realistic commitment and keep it.
Day 5 — Do the Difficult Task
Complete one important action you have been
avoiding.
Day 6 — Finish
Close one meaningful unfinished task.
Day 7 — Review
Ask:
- Where
did I improve?
- Where
did I return to the old standard?
- What
triggered that regression?
- What
will I change next week?
THE THREE-MINUTE DAILY STANDARD
CHECK
Before the day begins:
1. What standard must I maintain
today?
2. What is the most important
thing I must complete?
3. What difficult action must I
not avoid?
During pressure:
STOP → REMEMBER THE STANDARD →
CHOOSE → ACT
At the end of the day:
“Did my behaviour today match
the professional I want to become?”
If yes, recognise the evidence.
If no, learn from it.
Then return to the standard.
WHAT SHOULD A MARITIME LEADER
ASK?
A conventional question is:
“How do we get better results?”
A stronger question is:
“What standards must become
normal for better results to become sustainable?”
A still better question is:
“Have we created the capability,
systems and leadership behaviour needed to maintain those standards under
pressure?”
That is where leadership becomes
operational.
Because standards are not created by policy
documents alone.
They are created by:
What leaders demonstrate.
What teams repeat.
What organisations reward.
And what management refuses to
normalise.
EXECUTIVE TAKEAWAY
A vessel does not become operationally
excellent because of one great decision.
It becomes excellent through hundreds of
routine decisions made to a consistent standard.
The same is true of a maritime career.
The same is true of leadership.
The same is true of a business.
And the same is true of personal growth.
Your goal may tell you:
“I want to become better.”
Your standard asks:
“What behaviour must become
normal for me to actually become better?”
That is the more important question.
Because:
Goals set direction.
Standards set behaviour.
Consistency makes the behaviour
normal.
Repeated behaviour shapes
identity.
Identity influences decisions.
Decisions shape outcomes.
So before asking:
“What do I want to achieve?”
ask:
“What standard must I
consistently operate at to make that achievement sustainable?”
That is the real meaning of Upgrade Your
Standard.
In shipping, we understand the importance of
maintaining a vessel within an acceptable operating envelope.
The same principle applies to professional
life.
Know your operating standard.
Raise it deliberately.
Build the capability to support
it.
Maintain it under pressure.
And when you fall below it, do not
rationalise the decline.
Return to the standard.
Because ultimately:
Your potential tells you what
you are capable of.
Your standard tells you what you
are willing to become.
And your repeated behaviour
determines whether that potential ever becomes reality.
Upgrade the Standard. Upgrade
the Operator. Upgrade the Outcome.
No comments:
Post a Comment